* DEP Home * About DEP * Programs * Contact * Site Map * Search *
Corner of tabCertification and Restoration Program

Certification and Restoration Program Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)


Operator Certification FAQs | Water Supply Restoration FAQs


Operator Certification

When can I submit my application for examination?

Because there are no fixed exam dates established by the program, an examination application can be submitted at any time.

When can I submit my application for licensure?

An application can be submitted at anytime after you have received a passing grade on your examination. But keep in mind that you must have the appropriate amount of experience prior to submitting your application for licensure.

Does my passing grade ever expire if I don’t apply for a license right away?

Yes. Your application for licensure must be completed within 4 years from the date you took and passed the exam. If the 4 years lapses and a license is not issued, you will be required to retake the exam.

How long after taking the exam does it take to get my grade?

You will receive your examination grade immediately following your examination. Your examination is graded on site.

After I submit my application when will I be notified that I can sit for the exam?

You should be notified within 30 days after your application is received whether your application is complete or incomplete.

What are the fees to take an examination?

Applicants for the treatment plant operator class A, B, or C examination are required to remit $100. Applicants for the treatment plant operator class D and distribution system operator exam are required to remit $75.

What are the fees to get my license?

Applicants for the class A, B, or C license are required to remit $100. Applicants for the class D and distribution system operator license are required to remit $50.

What are the fees to renew my license?

Renewal fee is $75. If you are renewing an inactive license the fee is $175. Wards of the State (inmates) need to contact our office concerning fees.

Does Florida reciprocate with water and wastewater licensing in other states?

No. However, we may accept out of state time and training. Applicants using out of state training and experience must supply detailed information on courses and work experience, in accordance with the rule, but an operator must apply, be accepted and successfully pass an exam to become licensed in Florida.

Back to top

Water Supply Restoration

What are ground water contaminants?   

For the purposes of the Water supply Restoration Program (WSRP),  ground water contaminants are man made chemicals that make the ground water unsafe for drinking purposes.  Contaminants not addressed by WSRP include microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, and other naturally occurring contaminants.

How do contaminants get into my drinking well water?   

Some chemical contaminants are found in wells as a result of agricultural, industrial, and lawn care activities. Others are found as a result of leaking underground storage tanks or improper disposal of chemicals.

Can contaminated well water be used for other purposes?   

Depending on the kind of contamination as well as the contaminant concentration, contaminated well water may be used for toilet, bathing, and irrigation purposes. Contact your local County Department of Health office to have your specific question answered. 

How do I get my water tested?   

Any laboratory that is a state-certified laboratory in drinking water analysis can test your well. However, in order to qualify for Water Supply Restoration Program assistance, the sample must be taken and analyzed by a qualified DOH or DEP laboratory.

If you think that your well water may be contaminated, you may contact your Department of Health (DOH) local public health unit and request that your well be tested. If a sample is collected, test results will be reported to the home owner.

Can contaminants be cleaned from a well?   

If the source of the contamination is removed, levels should decrease over time. Once a well has been contaminated, the only ways to deal with drinking water contamination are treatment/filtration of the water or switching to a different water supply. If water lines are nearby, connection to a community water supply is usually the most cost-effective alternative. In very limited cases, drilling a new well may be the recommended action.

How much will fixing my contaminated well cost me?   

The Water Quality Assurance and the Inland Protection Trust Funds are used to provide safe drinking water to people with contaminated wells. When a private drinking water well is found to be contaminated, the WSRP determines the most cost-effective way to fix the well. If the well owner agrees with WSRP’s determination, WSRP then has a filter installed, at no cost to the home owner, or connects the property to a community water system, for which the DEP may pay up to the ten-year-present-worth of a filtration system. The home owner is responsible for the deposit and the monthly bills when a property is connected to a community water system.

If I have a new potable water well installed in a contaminated area is there any financial help available to offset the cost for the additional well construction requirements as set forth by the Water Management District?   

Yes, if funds are available, see the "New Well Subsidy Reimbursement Request" for more details.  It is available as a PDF document.

Where can I get more information about ground water contaminants?

Your local public health unit or the DEP’s water supply restoration program can provide you with more information on ground water contamination in your area. For filter installations and maintenance call the DEP’s WSRP at (850)245-8358 and for health related issues call the DOH’s toxicology section at (850)245-4299.

Back to top


Need further assistance or information regarding the program?

Please feel free to call us at 850/245-7500
FAX us at 850/245-8410,
 or write to us at: Certification and Restoration Program
Division of Water Resource Management
2600 Blair Stone Road, MS 3506
Tallahassee, FL 32399-2400


Last updated: November 07, 2016

  2600 Blair Stone Road M.S. 3500   Tallahassee, Florida 32399   850-245-8336 (phone) / 850-245-8356 (fax) 
DEP Home | About DEP  | Contact Us | Search |  Site Map