* DEP Home * About DEP * Programs * Contact * Site Map * Search *
Corner of tabWastewater

Domestic Wastewater Collection/Transmission System Permitting


Collection/transmission systems are the sewers, pipelines, conduits, manholes, pumping stations, force mains, and all other facilities used for collection and transmission of wastewater from individual service connection laterals to facilities intended for the purpose of providing treatment prior to release to the environment.

Specific Department requirements, including permitting requirements, for domestic wastewater collection systems and transmission facilities are contained in Chapter 62-604, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.).

Alternative Systems | CMOM/MOM Program | Contact Information |General vs Individual Permit | How to Apply
Individual Service Connection | Placing into Operation | Rules/Forms | Technical Guidance | When a Permit is Required

When is a construction permit required?

Either a general or individual construction permit is required prior to construction or modification of a collection/transmission system. The following activities do not require a permit:

  • Construction of an individual service connection from a single family residence.
  • Replacement of any facilities with new facilities of the same capacity at the same location as the facilities being replaced.
  • Construction of any single gravity or non-gravity individual service connection from a single building to a gravity collection system; however, construction of a non-gravity connection from other than a single family residence to an existing force main system requires a permit.
  • Construction of a low pressure (grinder pump or septic tank effluent pump (STEP)) or vacuum sewer individual service connection where the system serving the area has been previously permitted by the Department.
  • Installation of odor control facilities.
  • Modifications associated with routine maintenance.
  • Modifications associated with ancillary and electrical equipment and structures.

How does one apply for a collection/transmission permit? (back to top...)

Permits for construction or modification of a collection/transmission system are issued by each of the Departmentís six district offices or by local pollution control organizations which the Department has authorized regulatory powers. Location of the project determines the appropriate district office/local pollution control organization to contact regarding a permit request.

The following application form, appropriate application fee and supporting documents must be submitted for both a general and individual permit prior to initiating construction:

Form Hints:
  1. Send a sketch, as described on the form, not a set of drawings.
  2. Fill out all blanks with the engineer's initials, or an "x".
  3. Give short explanations of any "x"s.
  4. Get all required signatures.

When is a general or individual construction permit appropriate? (back to top...)

Collection/transmission systems can either be constructed under general permit or by individual permit.

Except for alternative collection/transmission systems, a general permit can be used provided the project has been designed in accordance with appropriate standards and criteria; notice has been given to the Department at least 30 days prior to initiating construction; and the wastewater facility to which the system will be connected has capacity to receive wastewater by the proposed system, is in compliance with capacity analysis requirements, is not under a Department Order associated with effluent violations or the ability to treat wastewater adequately, and will provide necessary treatment and disposal.

Collection/transmission systems not meeting the general permit criteria must submit an application for an individual permit.

What are requirements for placing a collection/transmission system into operation? (back to top...)

New or modified collection/transmission facilities are not to be placed into service until the project is cleared for use by the Department. Upon completion of construction and before placing the collection/transmission facilities into operation for any purpose other than testing for leaks or testing equipment operation, the permittee must submit the following form to the DEP District Office or local pollution control organization that issued the general or individual construction permit:

What is an alternative collection/transmission system? (back to top...)

Alternative collection/transmission systems are those systems not comprised of strictly conventional gravity sewers, pump stations, and force mains. This includes pressure sewers using small diameter pipeline (grinder-pump or septic tank effluent pump (STEP)), vacuum sewers and small-diameter gravity sewers.

What is an individual service connection? (back to top...)

An individual service connection is the lateral pipe which connects the point at which wastewater leaves a building which is its source and the point at which it enters a collection system.

What is CMOM or the MOM Program? (back to top...)

CMOM stands for Capacity, Management, Operation and Maintenance for sanitary sewer collection systems. The Management, Operation and Maintenance (MOM) Programs Project is a pilot enforcement approach developed by the United States Environmental Protection Agency's (EPAs) Region 4 to bring municipal sewer systems into full compliance with the Clean Water Act by eliminating sanitary sewer overflows (SSOs) from municipal sewer systems.

Collection/Transmission System Rule, Forms and Technical Guidance for Download: (back to top...)


  • Chapter 62-604, F.A.C., Collection Systems and Transmission Facilities - Establishes design, construction, and operation requirements for wastewater collection and transmission systems.


Technical Guidance:

For Information Contact: (back to top...)

For more information on domestic wastewater collection system permitting you may wish to contact the appropriate District Office or delegated local program in your area. If you still have any general questions about wastewater collection systems, you can contact the Domestic Wastewater Section in Tallahassee at 850-245-8605.

Back to Wastewater | Compliance | Domestic | Industrial Homepages

Last updated: November 18, 2016

  2600 Blair Stone Road M.S. 3500   Tallahassee, Florida 32399   850-245-8336 (phone) / 850-245-8356 (fax) 
DEP Home | About DEP  | Contact Us | Search |  Site Map