Minimum Steps to Acquire an Oil & Gas Permit in Florida
- Obtain the right to develop at least one mineral interest within the proposed drilling unit
- Arrange a preliminary site inspection with an Oil & Gas Section field office (South west Florida: (239)338-2362, Northwest Florida:(850) 675-6558.
- Submit an Application Packet to Tallahassee Office of the Oil & Gas Section:
- $2000 Application Fee
Form 3, Drilling Application
Form1, Organization Report
- Performance Security (Bond, Letter of Credit, Trust Fund payment, or other acceptable form of financial surety)
- Location Plat based on well location survey.
- Site construction plans
- Casing and Cementing programs
- H2S Contingency plan if applicable
Submit an Application Packet to Tallahassee office of the
Oil & Gas Section:
- $500 Application Fee
Form 4, Geophysical
Form 1, Organization Report
- 15 copies of Detailed Plat Map showing location of lines along which geophysical operations are to be conducted.
- 15 copies of Generalized Plat Map showing general vicinity of the geophysical program.
- 8 copies of complete, detailed operational plans for all work to be performed, including personnel, equipment, energy
sources, use of explosives, restoration activities, etc.
- A statement agreeing to obtain written approval from the Division of State Lands prior to conducting field operations on state lands.
- Bond of other approved security
- Applicants will be notified within 30 days if more information is needed to complete the application.
- Once complete, Florida Statutes require that applications be approved or denied within 90 days . Actual processing times for complete applications are usually 30 to 60 days.
- Permits are valid for 1 year and can be extended for an additonal year if necessary.
- Confidential information will be protected 1 year for drilling and 10 years for drilling and 10 years for geophysical permits.
- Additional federal, state, and local permitting may be necessary.
For additional information call any of the Oil & Gas Section offices:
- (850)488-8217---Main office in Tallahassee
- (239)338-2362---Fort Myers Field Office
- (850)675-6558---Jay Field Office
For more detailed information, call any of our offices to order a free Prospector Package which includes:
- Forms, Rules, Statutes, Surety Fee Schedules, detailed permitting procedures, etc.
Oil and Gas Related Pages