The following comments were received Wednesday, 10/21/09. These comments have been compiled without editing.
__________________________________________________ _______________

From G.O.
I don’t know that it is true that the bags are always “single use” People use paper grocery bags to hold their paper recycling in many areas. We use plastic grocery bags in all of our wastebaskets. I USUALLY bring the same canvas bags to the grocery store that I have been using for over 20 years (the last time it was “fashionable” to bring your own bags)
If you stop at a fast food restaurant are you supposed to bring your own bags. I could see a nominal charge for a bag Max. .105 but .25 is ridiculous.
I was very surprised recently, I don’t remember if it was Target, Wal-Mart or Winn-Dixie, but they gave me a credit on my bill because I had brought in my bags.
Stores and workers need to be trained to ask customers if they have brought their own bags. They also need to be retrained on how much to put in bags, paper, plastic and canvas.
Are the paper sacs made of recycled paper. We need to encourage more recycling which includes reuse.
Even if you keep re-useable bags in your vehicle it takes a lot of time to remember to bring them into the store with you.
How would this affect clothing stores, department stores etc.

From D. D.
This is a great idea. If you can't achieve the total ban, why not impose a charge of 25 cents a bag; it will take folks just a short time to learn to bring canvas bags with them.

From M.R.
First of all I do believe we are taking a step in the wrong direction. We must first become a bottle deposit state before we ban or regulate plastic bags. We need to have enforcements on all residential, condominium, apartments, hotels, motels, hospitals and businesses recycling systems first. Many of these residents are not even recycling AT ALL!! So we need to have a penalty fee in place. Garbage police would sift through garbage and if the basics are found such as aluminum cans, steel cans, glass bottles, 1 and 2 plastic bottles and NEWSPAPERS are found in the garbage it is a $40 fee. Condominiums and apartments would get a $150. Restaurants, hospitals, hotels and motels would get a $200 fee. I say fee since all these fees are not taxes or fines and would pay for the garbage policing. We also need to enforce and promote a major bottle bill where beverage containers will have a 5 to 10 cent deposit on them.