Florida Government - Ways to Save Energy
Energy management is an important aspect of environmental
management which will show healthy dividends for the state. Improving
energy efficiency saves money and helps protect the environment without
Tips for Saving Energy
- The most effective method of reducing the amount of energy consumed
by the manufacturing sector of our economy is to reduce the amount of
unnecessary products produced, and to reuse items in their original
form wherever possible.
- Remember to set your thermostat according to your use of the
house/office. While you are away from home or work or when you go to
sleep, set the temperature so that your heat and air isn't used as
much. A programmable thermostat can help.
- If you are not in a room, make sure all the lights are off. Also,
use lighting appropriate for the task. A small reading lamp in your
favorite chair is more efficient than lighting the whole room.
- Close vents in rooms you don't usually use. Why pay to heat spaces
you aren't using?
- Don't leave your computer on when you are not using it. Even in
"sleep" mode, your computer is wasting energy and costing you money.
- Don't block vents or radiators with furniture. They'll operate less
- Use large equipment during off-peak hours when possible.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs instead of traditional
incandescent. These produce less heat and save energy and can be used
in any room in the house.
- Consider ink-jet printers, which use 90% less energy.
- If your computer monitor has Energystar features, make sure they
enabled. This will shut off your monitor after a couple of minutes,
- Lap-top computers for employees use up to 90% less energy.
- Encourage employees with flexible schedules to use public transit.
- Install a bike rack or a storage area in order to encourage bicycle transit.
- Organize office carpools and reduce parking pricing for carpoolers.
- Schedule an energy audit of your business.
Greening Florida Government Menu
May 29, 2014