Under its Clearinghouse program, OIP:
- Serves as the state's single point-of-contact for the Florida State Clearinghouse.
- Coordinates the Department's position on the consistency of federal
projects and federally funded activities with departmental policies and
regulations, and provides comments to the Florida State Clearinghouse in
accordance with Presidential Executive Order 12372, the
National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the
Coastal Zone Management Act (CZMA) and other
federal laws and policies.
- Coordinates DEP's position regarding the statements of environmental
feasibility for Florida Department of Transportation projects as
required under Chapter 338, F.S. and roadway alignment planning
Under the Florida Coastal Management Program (FCMP), OIP:
- Coordinates coastal activities of local, state and federal agencies using existing laws
to ensure Florida's coast is as valuable to future generations as it is today.
- Administers an annual cooperative award from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration that provides funds for:
- Operating the state's Aquatic Preserves, including Charlotte Harbor, Estero Bay,
Biscayne Bay, Rainbow Springs and Indian River Lagoon;
- Pass-through grants to local governments for economic and resource improvement
projects, such as waterfront restoration and access, boating facilities and parks;
restoration of damaged natural resources; and marine research;
- Beach warning flags, rip current warning signs and beach access signs;
- Long-term research and coastal enhancement projects, such as coral reef mapping,
planning for sea-level rise, estuarine habitat restoration and critical wildlife
Under its Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) program, OIP:
- Coordinates state reviews of activities occurring in federal waters offshore Florida
under the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act (OCSLA); the National Environmental Policy Act
(NEPA); the Coastal Zone Management Act (CZMA); the Deepwater Ports Act; Marine Protection
Research and Sanctuaries Act; and other federal laws.
- Reviews proposed laws, rules, information requests, and other materials associated with
- Serves as the state's single point-of-contact for all matters related to OCS oil and gas
activities that affect Florida.
Under its Comprehensive Plan program, OIP:
- Coordinates the Department's review of local government comprehensive plans,
plan amendments, sector plans and periodic comprehensive plan evaluation and
appraisal reports (EARs).
- Coordinates DEP's review of strategic regional policy plans, campus master
plans, the State Comprehensive Plan and associated translational plans; assists
with the development of linkages among the plans.
- Provides input regarding specific growth management policy issues and
coordinates the Department's implementation of related recommendations.
- Coordinates the Department's involvement in Florida's Areas of Critical
State Concern program.