* DEP Home * About DEP * Programs * Contact * Site Map * Search *

Resources for

 newsletter sign up button

Unless indicated, documents on this Web site are Adobe Acrobat files, and require the free reader software.

Get Adobe Reader Icon


Florida has a right to know button

Report Waste, Fraud and Abuse button


Florida Hurricane Information Quick Links

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 2, 2005
CONTACT: Communications Manager, John Pickens (727) 319-1128

Department of Veterans Affairs Important Information for Veterans and Employees

How do I find out about the condition of a family member who is a patient at a VA medical center in the affected area? All inpatients in the affected area are being evacuated to nearby VA facilities. Families will be contacted as soon as communications channels are open.

I am a VA patient. I need a prescription refilled. What should I do? Call the nearest open VA medical center, tell them your prescription needs and explain that you are unable to get a refill prescription because of the hurricane. If at all possible, please bring your empty bottles with you. Also, in order to receive care, you will need to register at the new VAMC.

What if I ordered a prescription, but the post office cant deliver it because my home is damaged. Contact the nearest open post office with your forwarding address. Local post offices are holding packages for up to 14 days for addresses affected by the hurricane. Also, inform both the nearest open post office and nearest open VAMC of your new or temporary address.

Are drugs that I had with me during the flood safe to use? Discard drugs even those in their original containers if they came in contact with flood or contaminated water. Contamination may lead to diseases that can cause serious health effects.

I am a veteran who experienced the trauma of Hurricane Katrina.  I am shaken by the loss and devastation and would like to talk with someone about dealing with this event.  Where can I call for help? Contact the nearest open VA medical center, VetCenter or County Veteran Service Office.  Counselors are available to help you through the trauma.

Who can I call about my compensation or pension benefit checks? Call 1-800-827-1000.   Someone will be able to help you.

I am an employee who has evacuated from the hurricane area. Where can I get information or assistance? The toll free number for VA VHA employees is 1-888-766-2474. This number is operational 7 days a week from 6 am to 10 pm central time. You may also contact the nearest open VA facility who can assist you and your family.

# # #

Last updated: November 09, 2007

   3900 Commonwealth Boulevard M.S. 49   Tallahassee, Florida 32399 | 850-245-2118 (phone) / 850-245-2128 (fax)  
DEP Home | About DEP  | Contact Us | Search |  Site Map