FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
September 2, 2004
CONTACT: Dick Kane, (850) 414-4595
Florida DOT Suspends all Road and Bridge Construction
Statewide in Preparation for Hurricane Frances
Tallahassee- The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT)
has directed all road and bridge contractors statewide to temporarily
suspend all operations on construction projects effective noon today
with the exception of work in conjunction with hurricane preparedness.
FDOT further directed the contractors to take the following actions
as soon as practical:
- Entire jobsite should be checked for any loose items and if any
found, should be moved to a secure location.
- Post-mounted signs and bulletin boards should be taken down to the
maximum extent possible while taking safety issues into consideration
and securely stored.
- All scaffold planks, portable signs, barricades, etc. should be
removed to the maximum extent possible.
- Open up all lane closures to aid free-flow of traffic associated
with evacuations to the maximum extent possible.
- Open and widen (if needed) all ditches to facilitate run-off of
large volume of water.
- Lower all high mast lights on their poles.
Tolls are suspended on the following roadways:
- Florida's Turnpike - the entire roadway from Interstate 75 at
milepost 309 in Wildwood to Florida City in south Miami-Dade County
- Interstate 75 (Alligator Alley)
- Sawgrass Expressway (Toll Road 869) in Broward County
- Airport Expressway (Toll Road 112) in Miami-Dade County (MDX) •
Dolphin Expressway (Toll Road 836) in Miami-Dade County (MDX)
- Don Shula Expressway (Toll Road 874) in Miami-Dade County (MDX)
- Gratigny Parkway (Toll Road 924) in Miami-Dade County (MDX)
- Veterans Expressway/Suncoast Parkway (Toll Road 589) in the Tampa
- Selmon Crosstown Expressway in the Tampa Bay area
- Sunshine Skyway
Bridge in the Tampa Bay area
- Pinellas Bayway in the Tampa Bay area
- Polk Parkway in Lakeland
- Bee Line Expressway (Toll Road 528) in the
- East-West Expressway (Toll Road 408) in the Orlando area
- Central Florida GreeneWay (Toll Road 417) in the Orlando area
- Western Expressway (Toll Road 429) in the Orlando area
- Osceola Parkway
in the Orlando area.
Tolls remain in place on the Garcon Point and Mid-Bay Bridges in the
Florida Panhandle. The Turnpike Service plazas will remain open as long
as possible, to provide food and gas services for customers until
hurricane conditions require evacuation of the facilities.
In other transportation-related news:
- CSX has shut down operations in South Florida and will be removing
all the crossing gates once the last Amtrak train has cleared the
corridor and is north of Auburndale.
- Tri-Rail commuter trains will not be running in South Florida
- Amtrak - Two northbound trains will operate from Miami today, the
last train will operate at about 3 p.m. As of now Amtrak will operate
southbound trains out of New York City today and they will terminate in