Robinson Preserve in Manatee County
Florida Communities Trust's Parks and Open Space Florida Forever grant program is a state land acquisition grant program
that provides funding to local governments and eligible non-profit environmental
organizations for acquisition of community-based parks, open space and greenways
that further outdoor recreation and natural resource protection needs identified
in local government comprehensive plans. For detailed information about the grant application, appraisal, and acquisition processes, as well as other information, please see the navigation links on the right.
The preservation of green space, including parks, open space, beaches and
natural areas, is an important factor in creating livable communities.
In 1989, the Florida Communities Trust was created to help local
governments meet this need. For the first ten years, the Trust was funded
through the Preservation 2000 bond program, which was dedicated
to the purchase of sensitive lands throughout the state. In 1999, the
Florida Legislature approved Florida Forever as the successor program
2000 and the Trust continues to assist communities to acquire land for conservation and recreation.
Matching and full grants for land acquisition projects are provided to
communities through an annual competitive application cycle.
Florida Communities Trust provides
governments the opportunity to leverage local dollars with state dollars,
optimizing conservation benefits. Florida Communities Trust
and fosters both public and public-private partnerships in land acquisition
- Provides incentives for local governments to protect locally significant land
- Preserves natural resource lands
- Furthers local comprehensive plan objectives
- Resolves land use conflicts
- Provides additional waterfront access
- Boosts downtown revitalization
As of February 1, 2012:
- More than 90,000 acres have been preserved statewide
- The Trust has provided more than $825 million of the total $1.5 billion used to acquire these lands
- Local government partners have provided a match of more than $696 million
- In conjunction with the other state agencies that receive funding
through the land preservation bond program, more than one million acres
have been acquired for public use and enjoyment
- See more detailed and historical information: Florida Forever Projects (2001-2011)
- Please visit our News page.
State Lands Home
Florida Communities Trust
Sell Land to State
Land Acquisition Process
Buy Land from State
Florida Communities Trust Parks and Open Space Quick