The Office of Inspector General (OIG) is responsible for
promoting integrity, accountability and efficiency within the
Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). OIG audits,
investigates and reviews agency issues and programs to assist
DEP in its mission to protect, conserve and manage Florida’s
environment and natural resources. OIG consists of two units:
Internal Audit and Internal Investigations.
OIG promotes integrity, accountability and
The Office of Inspector General:
- Develops performance measures, standards and procedures
for evaluating agency programs.
- Reviews actions taken to improve agency performance and
- Coordinates activities to promote economy and
- Prevents and detects fraud and abuse in DEP programs.
- Keeps the agency head informed about fraud, abuse and
deficiencies in programs and operations.
- Ensures effective coordination between the Auditor
General, federal auditors and other government entities.
- Reviews agency rules and ensures that an appropriate
balance is maintained between audits, investigations and
other accountability activities.