U.S. Army Corps of Engineers closes portions of Lake O
Scenic Trail & Boat Ramp:
The USACE will close
additional portions of the Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail
(LOST) as rehabilitation continues on the Herbert Hoover
Dike, the earthen structure surrounding the lake. The
trail and boat ramp are expected to be closed for the
duration of construction, currently estimated to last
about 18 months as of April 11, 2014. In addition to these
new closures, the trail remains closed in various
locations between Moore Haven and South Bay on the south
side of the lake, and between Canal Point and Port Mayaca
on the east side. More information on the Lake Okeechobee
Scenic Trail and a map of current closures can be found at
Repairs have begun on the State Road 207 bike trail in St.
Johns County. The trail will be closed until work is
complete in early 2015.
- The Office of Greenways and Trails (OGT) needs your assistance! We would like to help citizens and visitors to Florida stay informed and involved in the numerous projects and events occurring regularly on greenways and trails throughout our state.
Promoting the economic, health, transportation, recreation and conservation benefits of greenways and trails, as well as providing information to the public about where these opportunities exist, is vital to the success of the Florida Greenways and Trails System.
OGT is asking you to please consider sharing your greenways and trails success stories, upcoming events and calendar announcements. In turn, the information offered may be featured in the Office of Greenways and Trails quarterly
Connections, or listed on our community
calendar below. Send information and notices to
- Be sure to check out the numerous trail events offered
by Florida state parks every month by clicking
- November 6 – Dade Tree Walk at Dade
Battlefield Historic State Park in Bushnell from 10:00
a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- November 7-9, Friday-Sunday, Florida
Trail Association Panhandle Regional Gathering. A fun
weekend of hikes and other activities sponsored by the
Panhandle Chapter and based at Compass Lake in the Hills,
Alford, Florida. Details and registration
here. Contact: Charissa Thacker, Chapter Chair,
- Guided Night Paddle at Oscar Scherer State Park
November 8 starting 30 minutes before sunset. Cost is $10
per person and space is limited, so call 941-483-5956 to
- Saturday Nov. 15 – A Guided Walk with
the Shorebirds at Bald Point State Park in Alligator Point
from 8:00 to 10:00
- Sat. Nov. 22 - Saturday Bike and Eat
Lunch with the
Blueways and Trails CSO. Meet at Magnolia Cafe in
Palatka at 10 a.m. for a 10 mile bike ride.
- Sat. Nov. 22 – Bird Walk at Fort
Cooper State Park in Inverness at 8:00 a.m.
- Sat. Nov. 22 – Monthly Bird Walk on
Pepper Creek Trail at Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs
Wildlife State Park in Homosassa from 7:45 to 9:30 a.m.
- Sat. Nov. 29 – Bird Walk with Citrus
County Audubon at Rainbow Springs State Park in Dunnellon
at 8:00 a.m.
- Six Mile Bike Ride to Hidden Spring in
Wakulla Springs State Park Saturday, December 6, 10:30
a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Free with park admission. Space limited
to ten participants. Call 850-561-7286 to reserve a spot.
- December Full Moon Paddle & Kayak Light Parade with
Putnam Blueways and Trails CSO,
5 - 9 p.m., meet on the south side of Dunn's Creek Bridge.
- Nature Stroll in Welaka State Forest with the
Blueways and Trails CSO, Saturday, December 6,
9-11 a.m. Meet at fire tower just south of main entrance.
- "Planning for Greenways: Florida's Expanding
System of Regional Connectors,"
1000 Friends of Florida Webinar Wednesday,
December 10, Noon to 1:30 with Dale Allen of the
Florida Greenways and Trails Foundation and Doug Alderson
of the Office of Greenways and Trails. Cost is $10.
- Bike the Palatka to Lake Butler Trail with the
Blueways and Trails CSO, Sunday, December 14,
3-6 p.m. Meet at McHenry's Pub in Keystone Heights and eat
as a group afterwards.
- Paddle Salt Springs Run with the
Putnam Blueways and Trails CSO, Saturday,
December 20, 9 a.m. The paddle is about 8 miles
round trip to and from Lake George.
On January 1, find a First Day Hike near
you in one of Florida's state parks. Click on each
district on this
state park events page.
Paddle Florida's Keys Challenge, Jan. 15-22; 70-mile
paddle from Long Key State Park to Key West with lots of
sun, sand, blue waters and historic railroad bridges in
- December 13, the Cross Florida Greenway staff needs
volunteers to participate in the Ocala Christmas Parade as
part of the Animal Unit. Contact Bre Ximenes if
Horse Endurance Runs: 100 mile, 110 KM and 50 mile
endurance runs on Palatka Lake Butler Trail and Florida
Forest Service unpaved roads, Saturday, February 7, 7 a.m.
- Palatka Bicycle Festival April 18-19,
sponsored by Palatka Main Street and the Putnam Blueways &
Trails CSO. Stay tuned for more details!