St. Joseph Bay State Buffer Preserve
Dylan Shoemaker, Preserve Manager
St. Joseph Bay State Buffer Preserve Center
3915 State Road 30-A
Port St. Joe, FL 32456
Chapman's rhododendron (Rhododendron chapmannii)
- St. Joseph Bay State Buffer Preserve provides an
essential buffer to St. Joseph Bay that helps protect
the bay's water quality, natural productivity and
- St. Joseph Preserve State Buffer Preserve protects
an intact natural coastal landscape with one of the
highest concentrations of rare plants in the Southeast,
including globally-imperiled species such as Chapman's
rhododendron, Telephus spurge and pinewoods aster (Aster spinulosus).
- Money Bayou is an unusual tidal creek that flows directly into the Gulf of Mexico instead of an
intervening bay or sound.
- St. Joseph Bay State Buffer Preserve contains 20 known archaeological and historical sites,
dating from prehistoric times to the 20th century.
- The dune/swale system formed by sand dunes created
during ancient changes in sea level in St. Joseph Bay
State Buffer Preserve is one of the most stable and
clearly defined of such topographic features found
- Additional Information about St.
Joseph Bay State Buffer Preserve
St. Joseph Bay State Buffer Preserve brochure
second Friday of each month, Buffer Staff host TRAM Tours for the public. The tour lets
you explore the Uplands with an experienced guide and provides opportunities to observe the diverse communities
present at the Buffer. Tour time is 9 am to 11 am departing from the Welcome Center parking lot. Join us to learn
about the history and importance of the Buffer Preserve.
Like St. Joseph Bay State Buffer Preserve on Facebook!
The St. Joseph Bay State Buffer Preserve Management Plan is being updated.
July 10, 2015
3900 Commonwealth Boulevard M.S. 235
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
DEP Home | About DEP
| Contact Us | Search |
Site Map |