- Mangrove Restoration Transforms Former Hotel Site into Paddler's Paradise (12/2/11)
After years of planning and searching for funding, a restoration plan was devised, permits issued,
clean-up performed, and now infrastructure is being installed for the new Isles of Capri Paddlecraft
- Guana Tolomato Matanzas NERR
Celebrates Research at the State of the Reserve (11/16/11)
GTM NERR's annual State of the Reserve on December 2, 2011 highlights the importance of conservation,
education and research.
- Rookery Bay Shark Research Gets the
Spotlight on National Television (11/4/11)
Shark research at Rookery Bay NERR gets highlighted in Litton Weekend Adventure on
Saturday, November 5, 2011.
- Planning Management of Coral
The 26th meeting of the U.S. Coral Reef Task Force will be held on
October 18-21, 2011 in Ft. Lauderdale.
- Spend a Day by the Bay (9/2/11)
Celebrate National Estuaries Day at one of Florida's three National
Estuarine Research Reserves!
- Creating an Island Paradise (6/30/11)
Volunteers have restored a spoil island in the Indian River Lagoon for the benefit of wildlife
- Share the Beach With Nesting Terns and Turtles (5/24/11)
Several species of sea turtle and shorebirds such as least terns and Wilson's plovers nest on the beaches each
spring and summer. Please share the beach and be mindful of their presence.
- Pythons are New Intruders at
Rookery Bay (4/26/11)
Pythons are a growing problem in south
Florida, having recently expanded their range to the Naples area.
- Celebrate Earth Day 2011
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection's
(DEP) Office of Coastal and Aquatic Managed Areas (CAMA) is
participating in these Earth Day 2011 events around the state.
- Celebrate Seagrass Awareness Month (3/11/11)
March is set aside to educate residents, visitors, and all Florida boaters about the importance of our vital
seagrass meadows, the threats that they face and how we can protect them.
- Franklin County Gets First Look at New Environmental Center (3/4/11)
Apalachicola National Estuarine Research Reserve hosted an open house at their new facility on February 26, 2011.
The new facility serves as an environmental center for the community and includes up-to-date research facilities.
- GTM Research Volunteers are Tracking the Elusive Anastasia Island Beach
Volunteers are monitoring the rare mice in hopes of eventually extending their range within the
Guana Lake area of GTM Research Reserve.
- Loggerhead Turtle Nesting Counts Higher Than Ever (1/20/11)
Loggerhead nests reached a record high at Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve
near St. Augustine, FL.
- Meet 'John James
Audubon' at the Southwest Florida Wildlife Festival (1/3/11)
John James Audubon (portrayed by Brian Ellis) will be highlighting the Southwest Florida Nature Festival with
tales of his travels in Florida.