Things you can do to keep Florida's Air Clean
- Keep the refrigerator and freezer full.
- Don't crowd food items into the refrigerator (contents will not
cool properly if air circulation is obstructed).
- Keep the fresh food compartment at 37-40F.
- Keep the freezer compartment at 0-5F.
- Use a thermometer to periodically check the refrigerator/freezer
- With manual-defrost freezers, don't allow frost to build up
more than 1/4 inch.
- Use the "energy saver" switch to adjust the heating coils, which
prevent condensation on the refrigerator.
- Don't keep opening the refrigerator/freezer door, mark freezer
items for quick identification.
- After shutting the refrigerator/freezer door, check to make sure
it closed tightly.
- Check the seal on the door gasket for air leakage (if you close
the door on a dollar bill and it pulls out easily, you probably need
a new gasket).
- Lubricate the door gasket with petroleum jelly to keep it from
cracking or drying out.
- Cover liquids and wrap foods stored in the refrigerator
(uncovered foods release moisture and make the compressor work
- Wrap food items with aluminum foil or plastic wrap (paper is an
- Avoid putting hot foods directly in the freezer; let them cool
- Don't keep an old unit running day and night in the garage (a
15-year-old refrigerator could cost $100-$150 per year).
- Clean the coils in the back or bottom of the
- Locate refrigerator/freezers away from heat sources and direct
sunlight, which cause the compressor to work harder.
- Don't enclose the unit in cabinets or place it close up against
the walls (heat from the compressor and condensing coils must be
able to escape freely).
- Freezers can be installed in an attached garage or basement;
however, don't put it in a space that frequently goes below 45F
(the refrigerant will not work properly).
- Have leaky refrigeration systems repaired.
- If the motor runs
too often or too long, get it checked (maintenance work on older
units has a big pay-off in terms of energy efficiency).
More Things You Can Do
September 11, 2013